Most reporters don’t have millions of YouTube subscribers or the ability to make a 60-second video go instantly viral, but then again, today’s interview with President Obama wasn’t your typical Q&A — which is precisely why it was a game changer.
In a major win for political youth engagement, three of YouTube’s most popular stars sat down with POTUS himself Thursday in a livestream where they asked him questions amassed through their followers using the hashtag #YouTubeAsksObama.
Vlogger Hank Green was up first, asking the president about drone technology, North Korea and marijuana legalization. Next, GloZell spoke up about police brutality and same-sex marriage, while 19-year-old Bethany Mota concluded the session by touching upon cyberbullying and the power of young voices.
But perhaps more important than the topics discussed, the livestream made teens feel like actual political participants and part of the conversation. Ground-breaking, indeed.
Below, we’ve rounded up the best, most magical moments from the livestream.
1. When Hank looked extra dapper in a blue button-down and tie.
Outfit game = strong.
— Mitali (@AlleyofBooks) January 22, 2015
2. When POTUS used a copy of “The Fault in Our Stars” to sign Hank’s prescription receipt.
— Vivian (@vivnunez) January 22, 2015
3. When GloZell asked POTUS how we can bridge the gap between African American males and white cops.
All the claps.
Really incredible that GloZell was allowed to bring up police brutality/racism in this #YouTubeAsksObama
— Valiance (@Valiance) January 22, 2015
4. When GloZell hilariously referred to FLOTUS as the “First Wife” by accident.
No worries, Glo. We know what you meant.
— Jeremy Levine (@Jeremy10036) January 22, 2015
5. When GloZell brought green lipstick for Obama to give to FLOTUS, Malia and Sasha.
Because she’s super awesome/thoughtful like that.
— Alex Thomas (@AlexThomasHLN) January 22, 2015
6. Bethany’s adorable interview set-up, which included cut-out stars, owls and a photo of her niece.
Stop being so cute, Beth.
— Queen Elizabeth (@lizabethbiebs94) January 22, 2015
7. When POTUS said this:
— Raymond Braun (@raymondbraun) January 22, 2015
8. When POTUS revealed what super power he would have.
“The flying thing seems…