Carmelo Anthony’s brief stop with the Houston Rockets is over, league sources told ESPN.
Anthony, a 10-time All-Star forward, will part ways with the team after playing only 10 regular-season games, sources said.
A formal announcement is expected before the Rockets play the Golden State Warriors on Thursday night.
The Rockets have no plans to immediately waive Anthony and will continue to allow his representatives to survey the marketplace for a landing spot, which has been an ongoing process in recent days.
Anthony’s wisest course of action could be exercising patience and allowing changes in current team rosters — through trades or injuries — to create more options for him.
Anthony’s $2.4 million veteran’s minimum salary could be claimed on waivers, or should he clear waivers he will be eligible to sign with a team.
Anthony, 34, left the team last Friday, after the Rockets decided that his role would be minimized and no longer considered him as a part of their plans. Coach Mike D’Antoni has assigned much of Anthony’s playing time to rookie Gary Clark. Anthony had been hopeful to continue with the Rockets, with whom he signed over the summer for the chance to compete for a title.
D’Antoni and Rockets general manager Daryl Morey have emphasized that Anthony has fulfilled every obligation and responsibility asked of him since joining the team.